Wichita Guardianship Lawyers
Serving Clients Throughout Sedgwick County
A legal guardianship is a court-supervised relationship established for the benefit of another person, who is called the ward. If you are interested in establishing a guardianship over a child or older adult, let Beall & Mitchell LLC serve as your Wichita guardianship attorney.
There are several types of guardianship you can pursue in Kansas:
- Limited guardianship, for someone who can make some responsible decisions but needs a guardian to assist in decision-making in specific areas.
- Co-guardianship, where two guardians are appointed to protect the best interests of the ward. This arrangement can prevent abuse of guardian powers.
- Guardian of property, where someone is appointed to provide or manage money to care for the ward. This is also called a conservatorship.
- Guardian ad litem, where a guardian is appointed to help a ward through a particular legal matter that concerns them.
To schedule a consultation regarding guardianship,
contact Beall & Mitchell LLC.
The Process of Obtaining Guardianship
Anyone who is interested in the well-being of the child or incapacitated adult can initiate the guardianship process by filing a petition with the court. The court will then review the petition to determine if the situation merits the need for a guardianship.
A guardian needs to be someone who plays a significant role in the life of the ward, is sensitive to the needs and desires the ward has and generally must be supported by the ward’s family.
Common Reasons to Seek Guardianship
A person may seek legal guardianship of an adult or child if:
- The child's parents are deceased
- The child's parents are abusing drugs and/or alcohol
- The child's parents are physically, verbally, or mentally abusive
- The adult is incapacitated and unable to make decisions about one's life
Let's Discuss Your Guardianship Case
This process for requesting guardianship in Kansas can become complicated because of the number of people involved, so be sure that you choose your Wichita guardianship lawyer wisely.
We offer a free 30 minute consultation that will help you get to know us, ask questions, and determine how we can help. Contact Beall & Mitchell LLC at (316) 842-4014 today!