Wichita Guardianship Attorney
Helping Families Expand in Sedgwick County
Legal guardianship is a court-supervised relationship established for the benefit of another person, who is called the ward. If you are interested in establishing guardianship over a child or older adult, let Beall & Mitchell LLC serve as your Wichita guardianship attorney.
There are several types of guardianship you can pursue in Kansas:
- Limited guardianship, for someone who can make some responsible decisions but needs a guardian to assist in decision-making in specific areas.
- Co-guardianship, where two guardians are appointed to protect the best interests of the ward. This arrangement can prevent abuse of guardian powers.
- Guardian of property, where someone is appointed to provide or manage money to care for the ward. This is also called a conservatorship.
- Guardian ad litem, where a guardian is appointed to help a ward through a particular legal matter that concerns them.
Are you looking to expand your family? Call Beall & Mitchell LLC today at (316) 842-4014 or contact us online to meet with our guardianship attorney in Wichita.
What is The Process for Obtaining Guardianship?
Anyone who is interested in the well-being of the child or incapacitated adult can initiate the guardianship process by filing a petition with the court. The court will then review the petition to determine if the situation merits the need for guardianship.
A guardian needs to be someone who plays a significant role in the life of the ward, is sensitive to the needs and desires the ward has, and generally must be supported by the ward’s family.
Reasons to Request Guardianship
A person may seek legal guardianship of an adult or child if:
- The child's parents are deceased
- The child's parents are abusing drugs and/or alcohol
- The child's parents are physically, verbally, or mentally abusive
- The adult is incapacitated and unable to make decisions about one's life
Contact Our Guardianship Attorney Today
This process for requesting guardianship in Kansas can become complicated because of the number of people involved, so be sure that you choose your Wichita guardianship lawyer wisely.
Contact Beall & Mitchell LLC to schedule a FREE fifteen-minute consultation!