Understanding How Long Does Child Support Last in Kansas

Child support is a critical aspect of family law that ensures the financial stability of the child after a divorce or separation. In Kansas, child support is governed by specific laws that define the amount and duration of support. If you're a parent going through a divorce or separation, you may be wondering how long child support lasts in Kansas. In this blog post, we'll provide you with all the information you need to understand child support duration in Kansas.

Duration of Child Support in Kansas

In Kansas, child support typically lasts until the child reaches the age of 18, but can go to 19 if the child is still in high school. However, child support may continue beyond this age if the child has special needs or requires additional support.

Modification of Child Support

In some cases, the court may modify the child support order if there is a significant change in circumstances. For instance, if the paying parent loses their job or experiences a significant reduction in income, they may request a modification of the child support order. Similarly, if the child's needs change, the receiving parent may request a modification of the child support order.

Termination of Child Support

Child support terminates automatically when the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school. However, if the child has special needs or requires additional support, the court may order child support to continue. Additionally, child support may terminate if the child marries, joins the military, or becomes financially independent.

Enforcement of Child Support

If the paying parent fails to pay child support, the receiving parent may seek enforcement of the child support order. The court may take various measures to enforce child support, including wage garnishment, seizure of assets, and suspension of driver's license or professional license.

If you need assistance with child support matters, contact Beall & Mitchell LLC in Wichita, KS, for legal guidance and representation.


Contact Our Firm

Call (316) 842-4014 or fill out the form to schedule your initial consultation.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side